My very first impression of Commedia dell' Arte is that it is a genre of theatre that gives a sense of freedom and equality, since both genders are included, and actors are not limited to scripts. It also seems quite professional, even though commoners invented it.
My favorite character type is the Zanni, because they make the story more interesting, and they are sometimes quite clever and cunning. However, I liked the Dottore in the play the most, because he seemed intelligent but was, in fact, gullible and a bit foolish. He was able to trick the trickster back. Also, his character and personality seems funny to act out.
I would like to know how the commoners were inspired to create Commedia dell' Arte. Another question I would like an answer to is: If Commedia dell' Arte is such a famous form of art, why would so many people not know their favorite character? Is it because they can't choose, or they don't know any characters?
I realized that masks could actually help people be more courageous on stage, since others could not see half of their facial expressions. If the facial emotions are unseen, the audience begins to focus on body language instead, taking the fear away from the performers. Also, the actors themselves don't have to worry about the possibility of not showing their expressions clearly.
I look forward to this unit!
Thursday, October 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I look forward to doing lazzis because there is a lot of improv. I also think that when people put on masks they have self courage, and nobody knows it's them so they feel more brave. Do you think it will help you?
ReplyDeleteMe too! I think it's a great idea to let the students' imagination run wild. Sometimes, being limited to a script is annoying. I also think it will help if masks cover half of the character's facial expression.
ReplyDeleteI like the dottore too! And I agree about how the masks will helpthe actors confidence, although it limits the facial expressions. Would you rather be working with or without masks?
ReplyDeleteGreat question, Stanley. It's a tough one, too. I would say that I'd be more confident with the mask on, but at the same time, I wish to express myself using facial expressions as well as with body language.
ReplyDeleteI wonder what the masks will look like. Commedia dell' Arte seems like a very good way of doing a play, but think about what would have happened way back then if one of the actors messed up? Did the acting troupe have to go to bed hungry because they didn't get enough to eat?
ReplyDeleteThat's a good way of viewing it, Carson. However, the actors couldn't possibly "mess up". Improvisation is all about not using scripts. Every time the play is performed, the main idea stays the same, but not the choice of words.
ReplyDelete